Our very own Jeanne stars in this knitting instructional article about how to knit English style. We hope you enjoy it!
Here are the instructions written out so you can follow along with the video:
1. Once you have cast on, hold the needle with the cast on stitches in your LEFT hand and the empty needle and yarn in your RIGHT hand.
2. Put the tip of your right needle through the first stitch on your left needle entering from front to back.
3. Tension your yarn with your right hand. This can be done a variety of ways and depends on what feels most comfortable to you. As you can see Jeanne likes to loop hers around her fingers. I prefer just weaving the yarn between my fingers.
4. Making sure your yarn is behind your needles, bring it up, around and over your right needle.
5. Next bring your right needle through the stitch on your left needle maintaing needle-on-needle contact. This helps keep the new stitch on your right needle.
6. Finally slip the stitch you have just knit into off of your left needle. Congratulations! You just knit English Style!
7. Repeat steps 4-7 until run out of stitches on your left needle. You may have to "re-tension" your yarn several times while knitting one row, but not every stitch. This method may seem awkward at first, but once you've got it down projects will be flying off your needles!
Posted by Laura of Jimmy Beans Wool
We hope you enjoy this article! This article and the associated photos are only for personal non-commercial use and are not for resale. All rights reserved. Permission granted by Jimmy Beans Wool and myKnitting.com to copy and share this article for non-commercial personal use. Users do not have permission to display on any retail or wholesale website other than www.JimmyBeansWool.com and www.myknitting.com without express permission from Jimmy Beans Wool.