Our very own Jeanne stars in this knitting instructional video demonstrating how to yarn over at the beginning of a row. We hope you enjoy it!
Jared Flood's Rock Island Shawl has left quite a few knitters awed by its sheer beauty and grandeur (and non-knitters everywhere are finally taking the plunge to learn), on the other hand it has also intimidated quite a few from casting on. I confess I was scared at first - the construction looks just too complicated. However, after seeing Sandy and Jeanne cast on and knit away to their hearts' content, I wanted a piece of the action too! Meanwhile, Jeanne saw the pattern instructions as a great opportunity to teach struggling knitters out there how to yarn over at the beginning of a row, as opposed to within a row, nestled safely within other stitches. As always, Jeanne takes the complication out of the stitch and really shows how easy it is! I only had to watch her video two times to master the technique! Once you have it down, you'll be breezing through all sorts of lace patterns! Please note: Make sure to read your pattern instructions. This is for a YO, K2tog pattern, but will easily work for a YO, Knit or whichever stitch you need to do after your YO at the beginning of a row!
1. Place your right hand needle through the first two stitches on your left hand needle, as if to knit two together (for a YO, K2tog).
2. Instead of knitting your stitches, simply wrap your yarn 'over' (up and around) by bringing it through the front and around your right hand needle. This is your 'yarn over.'
3. Once you have wrapped the yarn over, you will knit your two stitches as normal.
3. You should have two stitches on your right hand needle (the yarn over and the k2tog).
4. Follow the rest of your pattern as usual until you return to the YO, k2tog instructions and do it all over again!
Yep, it's that simple! Before you know it, you'll be looking forward to these rows. I know I am as I knit my Rock Island Shawl!
Posted by Laura of Jimmy Beans Wool
We hope you enjoy this article! This article and the associated photos are only for personal non-commercial use and are not for resale. All rights reserved. Permission granted by Jimmy Beans Wool and myKnitting.com to copy and share this article for non-commercial personal use. Users do not have permission to display on any retail or wholesale website other than www.JimmyBeansWool.com and www.myknitting.com without express permission from Jimmy Beans Wool.