Our very own Jeanne stars in this knitting instructional article about how to do Tunisian crochet. We hope you enjoy it!
1. To begin, create a slip knot, put your crochet hook through the loop of the slip knot, and begin to chain (just like you normally would when beginning any crochet project).
2. After chaining the number of stitches you need for your project or swatch (remember, the loop on the hook counts as a stitch!), begin to work back across your chained stitches as follows:
2a. With the bottom "bumps" of the chain facing you, put your hook through the top loop of the stitch closest to your hook.
2b. Grab the yarn with your hook and pull it through the stitch. This creates a new stitch on your hook. You should now have two stitches on the hook.
2c. Continue repeating steps 2a and 2b until you reach the end of the row.
3. To work back across your row, chain one in the last stitch on your hook. Then, loop the yarn around your crochet hook and pull it through the chain stitch, as well as the next stitch on your crochet (through two stitches total).
4. Loop the yarn around your crochet hook and pull it through the next two stitches on your hook. Repeat this until you reach the end of the row. You should have one new stitch remaining on your hook.
5. In order to work back across, put your crochet hook through the big loop that's facing you. Wrap your yarn around your hook and pull it through the big loop. You should now have two stitches on your crochet hook. Continue until you reach the end of the row, being sure to include the last big loop along the edge of your work.
6. Woo-hoo! You've just learned the basics of Tunisian Crochet! To continue adding rows simply repeat steps 3 through 5!
Posted by Laura of Jimmy Beans Wool
We hope you enjoy this article! This article and the associated photos are only for personal non-commercial use and are not for resale. All rights reserved. Permission granted by Jimmy Beans Wool and myKnitting.com to copy and share this article for non-commercial personal use. Users do not have permission to display on any retail or wholesale website other than www.JimmyBeansWool.com and www.myknitting.com without express permission from Jimmy Beans Wool.