Our very own Terry stars in this knitting instructional article about how to do a Garter Stitch Tab for a Top Down Lace Shawl. We hope you enjoy it!
1. Use a provisional crochet cast on with waste yarn.
2. Create a slip knot with your waste yarn and loosely crochet a chain 5-6 stitches pulling last stitch through but don't tighten it up. You will be able to 'unzip' it later..
3. Start on the side of your chain that looks like a nub and put your needle through the nub. Start a couple of chains in and leave a couple of chains as the end too, so that you are working with the middle 3 chains only.
4. Using your working yarn pick up the first stitch and pull it through the nub and continue in this manner until you have picked up three stitches.
5. Turn your work and knit 6 rows.
6. Knit a 7th row, but don't turn your work. Turn it 90 degrees so you can see 3 garter ridge 'nubs' and insert your right hand needle into the first nub, or knot and knit a stitch. Pick up 1 stitch for every garter stitch row.
7. Pick up last 2 stitches in the same manner which brings you back to your cast on edge.
8. Unpick your first crochet stitch and pull that waste yarn unzipping the yarn carefully. This will leave the 3 live stitches ready to be knit onto your needle.
Posted by Laura of Jimmy Beans Wool
We hope you enjoy this article! This article and the associated photos are only for personal non-commercial use and are not for resale. All rights reserved. Permission granted by Jimmy Beans Wool and myKnitting.com to copy and share this article for non-commercial personal use. Users do not have permission to display on any retail or wholesale website other than www.JimmyBeansWool.com and www.myknitting.com without express permission from Jimmy Beans Wool.